In this lesson we will look at how to lead positively and create happiness for your employees.
There is a popular framework that looks at the responsibilities of leaders/ managers and divides them in four domains. This is the Head, Heart, Hands, Voice model. The head refers to thinking, strategy etc; the heart to relationship building, the hands to executing aspects while the voice refers to influencing on the job.
Sometimes these functions are at loggerheads with each other. For example if you want to get things done, you will lean on your executing or Hands strengths even at the cost of spoiling some relations or creating friction in the relationship or Heart domain.
However, it’s important to recognise that all functions are important and to be a good leader you need to use all domain expertise wisely.
Also as per another research by Gallup, your employees or followers have four basic needs and to be a good leader and to keep your employees happy you need to address those needs. These needs are that of trust, hope, compassion and stability. A good leader addresses these needs and takes care of his followers. With this we come to an end of our happier @ work course.
Time for a quick round-up of what we have learned so far. Here are the key takeaways from all the 10 lessons:
- It pays (literally) to be happy at the workplace.
- Small daily rituals like meditating for 2 mins at work can have a lasting impact on your happiness.
- Creating a gratitude filled culture is the most effective way of creating a culture of happiness.
- Along with happiness, finding Meaning in work has to become a number one priority .
- A calling orientation towards work is best and you do have some latitude to craft your job to make it more calling like.
- The basic needs of Autonomy, Mastery, Relatedness and Purpose need to be satisfied to keep us motivated at work.
- Being optimistic and hopeful has multiple positive outcomes including increased resilience and grit.
- SMART, WISE and self-concordant goals are a key to a happy and productive work life.
- Discovering and deploying your strengths is life transforming experience
- Leadership consists of using your strengths in Head, Heart, Hands, and Voice domains and providing hope, stability, compassion and trust to your followers.
That brings us to the end of this course. I wish you happiness and fulfillment at work. If you like the course share with a friend; after all sharing is caring and a sure shot way to increase happiness in your community/ work environment.